Dr. Brian H.Y. CHUNG (鍾侃言醫生)
Clinical Associate Professor (Part-time)
MBBS; MSc (Genomics and Bioinformatics); MRCPCH; DCH (Ireland); FHKAM (Paediatrics); FCCMG (Clinical Genetics)
locationQueen Mary Hospital
telephone(852) 2255 4482
HKU Scholars HubHKU Scholars Hub
Medical application of whole-genome technologies
Using cutting-edge technologies including CNV arrays, whole exome/genome sequencing and detailed phenotypic evaluation, we identify novel variants/genes involved in the pathogenesis of human diseases. Current projects include
• Genetic Diagnosis of RASopathies using Next Generation Sequencing.
• Exome/whole genome sequencing of patients with congenital heart disease/neurodevelopmental disorders.
• whole exome sequencing of families with rare genetic syndromes
Clinical Genetics & Genetic Counselling
• Disease burden, clinical manifestations & natural history of genetic syndromes
• Communication/discourse analysis in genetic counseling in different clinical settings including inherited arrhythmia clinics, prenatal diagnosis, preimplantation genetic diagnosis (in collaboration with Dr Olga Zayts, Dept of English, HKU)
Epigenetics and Human Disease
Epigenetics is the study of heritable changes in gene expression or cellular phenotype caused by mechanisms other than changes in the underlying DNA sequence and it includes DNA methylation, chromatin remodeling, RNAi and prions/structural inheritance systems. Using various technologies including bisulphite-converted DNA pyrosequencing, MLPA and whole genome DNA methylation arrays, we study various common and rare disorders in which epigenetics and imprinting is implicated in the pathogenesis. Current projects include:
• Whole genome DNA methylation studies in Chinese patients with SLE
• Childhood imprinting disorders
For private clinic booking please contact Ms Teresa Wong (Secretary) Tel: 2255 4482; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tao QV, Chan YK, Chu WY, Mok TKG, Tan TY, Yang W, Lee SL, Tang WF, Tso WYW, Lau ETK, Kan SYA, Tang MHY, Lau YL and Chung BHY. The clinical impact of chromosomal microarray on paediatric care in Hong Kong. PLOS One 2014, 9(10): e:109629.
Liu APY, Chow PC, Lee PPW, Mok TKG, Tang WF, Lau ETK, Lam STS, Chan YK, Kan SYA, Chau AKT, Cheung YF, Lau YL and Chung BHY. Under-recognition of 22q11.2 deletion in adult Chinese patients with conotruncal anomalies: Implications in transitional care. European Journal of Medical Genetics. Elsevier, 2014, 57: 306-311.
Kan SYA, Lau ETK, Tang WF, Chan S.S.Y., Ding S.C.K., Chan YK, Lee CP, Hui P.W., Chung B.H.Y., Leung K.Y., Ma W.L.T., Leung W.C. and Tang MHY, Whole-genome Array CGH Evaluation for Replacing Prenatal Karyotyping in Hong Kong. PLOS One 2014, 9(2): e87988.
Liu AP, Tang WF, Lau ET, Chan KY, Kan AS, Wong KY, Tso WW, Jalal K, Lee SL, Chau CS, Chung BH. Expanded Prader-Willi syndrome due to chromosome 15q11.2-14 deletion: report and a review of literature. Am J Med Genet A. 2013 Jun;161A(6):1309-18. [Medline]
Chung BH, Luk HM, Lo IF, Lam ST, Li RH. A second report of p.Pro986Leu variant in COL2A1-phenotypic overlap with SEDC and other forms of type II collagenopathies. Am J Med Genet A. 2013 Apr;161A(4):918-20. [Medline]
- RGC-General Research Fund: #HKU7653/11M, and #HKU7655/13M
- Hong Kong Children's Heart Foundation 2011-2013, and 2013-2014 (#AR120015)
- SK Yee Medical Foundation #212210, #211203, and #213217
- SK Yee Medical Research Grants 2012-2015
- Children's Catastrophic Disease Foundation 2013
Awards and Honors
- 2013 - Outstanding Oral Presentation Award - Identifying genetic mutations in patients with RASopathies using a new generation sequencing diagnostic pipeline in Hong Kong; Annual Scientific Meeting 2013, Hong Kong College of Paediatricians
- 2013 - Outstanding Poster Presentation Award - Integration of chromosomal microarray into paediatric clinical care in Hong Kong; Annual Scientific Meeting 2013, Hong Kong College of Paediatricians
- 2013 - Certificate of Excellence - Master of Science in Genomics & Bioinformatics; Division of Genomics & Bioinformatics, CUHK-BGI Innovation Institute of Trans-omics
- 2012 - Outstanding Team award - The Hong Kong West Cluster
- 2010 - 10-year Loyalty Award - Queen Mary Hospital
- 2010 - First Runner-up Best Poster Presentation - 7th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference (APMEC)
- 2010 - One of the Top 4 submissions - 34th Annual Scientific Meeting, Canadian College of Medical Genetics
- 2010 - Best Basic Research - Annual Research Day, Paediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
- 2009 & 2010 - Fellow Award - 30th Annual David W. Smith Workshop on Malformations and Morphogenesis
- 2005 - Silver Medal in Best Original Research Contest - Clinical Markers Useful in Enhancing Diagnostic Yield for Children with Global Developmental Delay (GDD); HK Academy of Medicine
- 2005 - Most Outstanding Free Paper - (SMARD1) Spinal muscular atrophy with respiratory distress type 1 mutation in a Chinese boy; The 3rd Hong Kong Genetic Symposium 2005