- Sperm functions
- Placental development
- Reproductive Immunology
- Vijayan M, Lee CL, Wong VHH, Wang X, Bai K, Wu J, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Lee KF, Yeung WSB, Ng EHY, Chiu PCN. Decidual glycodelin-A polarizes human monocytes into a decidual macrophage-like phenotype through Siglec-7. J Cell Sci. 2020 Jul 23;133(14):jcs244400. doi: 10.1242/jcs.244400. PMID: 32513821.
- Hautala LC, Pang PC, Antonopoulos A, Pasanen A, Lee CL, Chiu PCN, Yeung WSB, Loukovaara M, Bützow R, Haslam SM, Dell A, Koistinen H. Altered glycosylation of glycodelin in endometrial carcinoma. Laboratory Investigation.
- Wang X, Lee CL (Co-first author), Vijayan M, Yeung WSB, Ng EHY, Wang X, Li HWR, Zhang Y, Chiu PCN. Adrenomedullin insufficiency alters macrophage activities in pro-inflammatory conditions: a pathophysiologic explanation of tubal ectopic pregnancy. Mucosal Immunology.
- Cao M, Chan RWS, Cheng FHC, Xua S, Li J, Li T, Pang RTK, Lee CL, Li RHW, Ng EHY, Chiu PCN, Yeung WSB. Myometrial cells stimulate self-renewal of endometrial mesenchymal stem-like cells through WNT5A/β-catenin signaling. Stem cells. 2019. 37(11):1455–1466.
- Mei S, Chen P, Lee CL, Zhao W, Wang Y, Lam KKW, Ho PC, Yeung WSB, Fang C, Chiu PCN. The role of galectin-3 in spermatozoa-zona pellucida binding and its association with fertilization in vitro. Molecular Human Reproduction. 2019. 25(8):458-470.
Lee C.L., Vijayan M., Wang X., Lam K.W., Koistinen H., Seppala M., Li R.H.W., Ng E.H.Y., Yeung W.S.B. and Chiu C.N., Glycodelin-A stimulates the conversion of human peripheral blood CD16−CD56bright NK cell to a decidual NK cell-like phenotype, Human Reproduction. 2019, 34, 689-701. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/humrep/dey378
Li S., Ip K.M., Tang Y.H., Tang K.S., Tong Y., Zhang J., Hassan A.A., Mak A.S.C., Yung S.S.Y., Chan D.T.M., Ip P.C.P., Lee C.L., Chiu C.N., Lee L.T.O., Lai H.C., Zeng J.Z., Shum H.C. and Wong A.S.T., Sialyl Lewis~^X~~-P-selectin cascade mediates tumor-mesothelial adhesion in ascitic fluid shear flow, Nat Cummun. 2019, 10(1), 2406. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/S41467-019-10334-6
Wang X., Lee C.L., Li R.H.W., Vijayan M., Duan Y., Yeung W.S.B., Zhang Y.Z. and Chiu C.N., Alteration of the immune cell profiles in the pathophysiology of tubal ectopic pregnancy, American Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2019, 81, e13093. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/aji.13093
Chinoy Z.S., Friscourt F., Capicciotti C.J., Chiu C.N. and Boons G.J., Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of Asymmetrical Multi-Antennary N-Glycans to Dissect Glycan-Mediated Interactions between Human Sperm and Oocytes , Chemistry - A European Journal. 2018, 24: 7970-7975. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201800451 (Publication No. : 292775)
Wong C.W., Lam K.W., Lee C.L., Yeung W.S.B., Zhao W.E., Ho P.C., Oue J.P. and Chiu C.N., The roles of protein disulphide isomerase family A, member 3 (ERp57) and surface thiol/disulphide exchange in human spermatozoa-zona pellucida binding, Human Reproduction. 2017, 32: 733-742.
Lee C.L., Lam K.K., VIJAYAN M., Koistinen H., Seppala M., Ng E.H.Y., Yeung W.S.B. and Chiu C.N., The pleiotropic effect of glycodelin-A in early pregnancy, American Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2016, 75(3): 290-297.
Liu W., NIU Z., LI Q., Pang T.K.R., Chiu C.N. and Yeung W.S.B., MicroRNA and Embryo Implantation, American Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2016, 75: 263-271.
Yung SS, Lee VC, Chiu PC, Li HW, Ng EH, Yeung WS, Ho PC. The effect of 7 days of letrozole pretreatment combined with misoprostol on the expression of progesterone receptor and apoptotic factors of placental and decidual tissues from first-trimester abortion: a randomized controlled trial. Contraception 2016:93(4):323-30.
Huang VW, Lee CL, Lee YL, Lam KK, Ko JK, Yeung WSB, Ho PC, Chiu PC. Sperm fucosyltransferase-5 mediates spermatozoa-oviductal epithelial cell interaction to protect human spermatozoa from oxidative damage. Molecular Human Reproduction 2015 Jun;21(6):516-26.
Lee CL, Guo Y, So KH, Vijayan M, Wong HHV, Yao Y, Lee CKF, Chiu CN and Yeung WSB. Soluble human leukocyte antigen G5 polarizes differentiation of macrophages towards a decidual macrophage-like phenotype. Human Reproduction 2015, 30: 2263-74.
Li HW, Liao SB, Chiu PC, Yeung WS, Ng EH, Cheung AN, Tang F, O WS. Effects of adrenomedullin on the expression of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines in oviducts from women with tubal ectopic pregnancy: an in-vitro experimental study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2015 Nov 5;13(1):120. [Medline]
So KH, Kodithuwakku SP, Kottawatta KS, Li RH, Chiu PC, Cheung AN, Ng EH, Yeung WS, Lee KF.Human chorionic gonadotropin stimulates spheroid attachment on fallopian tube epithelial cells through the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway and down-regulation of olfactomedin-1. Fertil Steril. 2015 May 18. pii: S0015-0282(15)00304-0. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2015.04.030. [Epub ahead of print]
Wang B, Ye TM, Lee KF, Chiu PC, Pang RT, Ng EH, Yeung WS.Annexin A2 Acts as an Adhesion Molecule on the Endometrial Epithelium during Implantation in Mice. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 7;10(10):e0139506. [Medline]
Chiu PC, Lam KK, Wong RC, Yeung WS. The identity of zona pellucida receptor on spermatozoa: an unresolved issue in developmental biology. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2014, 30:86-95.
Ko JKY, Huang VW, Li RHW, Yeung WSB, Ho PC and Chiu CN. An in vitro study of the effect of mifepristone and ulipristal acetate on human sperm functions. Andrology 2014;2(6):868-874.
Lee CL, Li K, Lam KK, Ng EH, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Yeung WS, Chiu PC.Glycodelin-A treatment reduces the adverse effect of macrophage co-culture on human sperm motility. Mol Reprod Dev. 2014 Jun;81(6):482-3. doi: 10.1002/mrd.22331. Epub 2014 May 9. [Medline]
Huang VW, Zhao W, Lee CL, Lee CY, Lam KK, Ko JK, Yeung WS, Ho PC, Chiu PC. Cell membrane proteins from oviductal epithelial cell line protect human spermatozoa from oxidative damage. Fertil Steril. 2013 Apr;99(5):1444-1452. [PubMed]
Lee CL, Chiu PC, Hautala L, Salo T, Yeung WS, Stenman UH, Koistinen H. Human chorionic gonadotropin and its free β-subunit stimulate trophoblast invasion independent of LH/hCG receptor. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2013 Aug 15;375(1-2):43-52. [PubMed]
Lee CL, Lam MPY, Lam KKW, Leung CON, Pang RTK, Chu IK, Wan THL, Chai J, Yeung WSB, Chiu PCN. The identification of CD147 (Basigin) as a mediator of trophoblast functions. Hum Reprod 2013 Sep. [ Epub ahead of print] [PubMed]
Pang RT, Leung CO, Lee CL, Lam KK, Ye TM, Chiu PC, Yeung WS. MicroRNA-34a is a tumor suppressor in choriocarcinoma via regulation of Delta-like1. BMC Cancer. 2013 Jan 18;13:25. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-13-25. [PubMed]
Wong BS, Lam KK, Lee CL, Wong VH, Lam MP, Chu IK, Yeung WS, Chiu PC. Adrenomedullin enhances invasion of human extravillous cytotrophoblast-derived cell lines by regulation of urokinase plasminogen activator expression and s-nitrosylation. Biol Reprod. 2013 Feb 14;88(2):34. [PubMed]
Chen AC, Lee YL, Hou DY, Fong SW, Peng Q, Pang RT, Chiu PC, Ho PC, Lee KF, Yeung WS. Study of transforming growth factor alpha for the maintenance of human embryonic stem cells. Cell Tissue Res. 2012 Nov;350(2):289-303. [Medline]
Chiu CN, Lam KK, Lee CL, Huang VW, Wong BS, Zhao W, Li K, Ho PC, Yeung WSB. Adrenomedullin enhances the progressive motility and zona pellucida-binding capacity of spermatozoa from normozoospermic but not asthenozoospermic men. Molecular Reproduction and Development 2012;79(2): 76. [PubMed]
Lee CL, Lam EY, Lam KK, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Ng EH, Yeung WS, Chiu PC. Glycodelin-A stimulates interleukin-6 secretion by human monocytes and macrophages through L-selectin and the extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway. J Biol Chem. 2012 Oct 26;287(44):36999-7009. [PubMed]
Liu WM, Pang RT, Chiu PC, Wong BP, Lao K, Lee KF, Yeung WS. Sperm-borne microRNA-34c is required for the first cleavage division in mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012;109(2):490-4. [Medline]
Yeung WSB, Chiu CN. SLeX: potential implications for fertility and contraception. Expert Review of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2012;7: 1-3.
Lam KK, Chiu PC, Lee CL, Pang RT, Leung CO, Koistinen H, Seppala M, Ho PC, Yeung WS. Glycodelin-A protein interacts with Siglec-6 protein to suppress trophoblast invasiveness by down-regulating extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK)/c-Jun signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2011 Oct 28;286(43):37118-27. [PubMed]
Lam MP, Lau E, Siu SO, NgDC, Kong RP, Chiu PC, Yeung WS, Lo C, Chu IK. Online combination of reversed-phase/reversed-phase and porous graphitic carbon liquid chromatography for multicomponent separation of proteomics and glycoproteomics samples. Electrophoresis. 2011 Nov;32(21):2930-40.
Lee CL, Chiu PC, Lam KK, Siu SO, Chu IK, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Lee KF, Yeung WS. Differential actions of glycodelin-A on Th-1 and Th-2 cells: a paracrine mechanism that could produce the Th-2 dominant environment during pregnancy. Hum Reprod. 2011 Mar;26(3):517-26. [Medline]
Lee CL, Chiu PC, Pang PC, Chu IK, Lee KF, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Morris HR, Tissot B, Panico M, Dell A, Yeung WS. Glycosylation failure extends to glycoproteins in gestational diabetes mellitus: evidence from reduced α2-6 sialylation and impaired immunomodulatory activities of pregnancy-related glycodelin-A. Diabetes. 2011 Mar;60(3):909-17. [Medline]
Lee CL, Lam KK, Koistinen H, Seppala M, Kurpisz M, Fernandez N, Pang RT, Yeung WS, Chiu PC. Glycodelin-A as a paracrine regulator in early pregnancy. J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Jun;90(1):29-34.
Pang PC, Chiu PC, Lee CL, Chang LY, Panico M, Morris HR, Haslam SM, Khoo KH, Clark GF, Yeung WS, Dell A. Human sperm binding is mediated by the sialyl-Lewis(x) oligosaccharide on the zona pellucida. Science. 2011 Sep 23;333(6050):1761-4. [PubMed]
Chiu CN, Liao S, Lam KW, Tang F, Ho JCM, Ho PC, O WS, Yao QY, Yeung WSB. Adrenomedullin regulates sperm motility and oviductal ciliary beat via cyclic adenosine 5'-monophosphate/protein kinase A and nitric oxide, Endocrinology. 2010;151:3336-3347. [PubMed]
Chiu PC, Wong BS, Lee CL, Lam KK, Chung MK, Lee KF, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Gupta SK, Seppälä M, Yeung WS. Zona pellucida-induced acrosome reaction in human spermatozoa is potentiated by glycodelin-A via down-regulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases and up-regulation of zona pellucida-induced calcium influx. Hum Reprod 2010;25:2721-33.
Lam MP, Siu SO, Lau E, Mao X, Sun HZ, Chiu PC, Yeung WS, Cox DM, Chu IK. Online coupling of reverse-phase and hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography for protein and glycoprotein characterization. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010 Sep;398(2):791-804. Epub 2010 Jul 15.
Lee CL, Chiu CN, Lam KW, Chan RWS, Chu IK, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppala M, Lee KF, Yeung WSB. Glycodelin-A modulates cytokine production of peripheral blood natural killer cells. Fertil Steril 2010;94:769-71. (Publication No. : 177299)
Li HWR, Liao S, Chiu PCN, Tam WW, Ho JCM, Ng EHY, Ho PC, Yeung WSB, Tang F, O WS, Expression of adrenomedullin in human oviduct, its regulaton by the hormonal cycle and contact with spermatozoa, and its effect on ciliary beat frequency of the oviductal epithelium, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2010;95:E18-E25. (Publication No. : 182871)
Pang RTK, Leung ON, Ye T, Liu W, Chiu CN, Lam KW, Lee KF, Yeung WSB. MicroRNA-34a suppresses invasion through downregulation of Notch1 and Jagged1 in cervical carcinoma and choriocarcinoma cells, Carcinogenesis 2010;31:1037-1044. [PubMed]
Lam KK, Chiu PC, Chung MK, Lee CL, Lee KF, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppala M, Ho PC, Yeung WS. Glycodelin-A as a modulator of trophoblast invasion. Hum Reprod. 2009 Sep;24(9):2093-103. [PubMed]
Lee CL, Pang PC, Yeung WS, Tissot B, Panico M, Lao TT, Chu IK, Lee KF, Chung MK, Lam KK, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Morris HR, Dell A, Chiu PC. Effects of differential glycosylation of glycodelins on lymphocyte survival. J Biol Chem. 2009 May 29;284(22):15084-96. [PubMed]
Chiu PC, Wong BS, Lee CL, Pang RT, Lee KF, Sumitro SB, Gupta SK, Yeung WS. Native human zona pellucida glycoproteins: purification and binding properties. Hum Reprod. 2008 Jun;23(6):1385-93. [PubMed]
Chiu PC, Chung MK, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppala M, Ho PC, Ng EH, Lee KF, Yeung WS. Glycodelin-A interacts with fucosyltransferase on human sperm plasma membrane to inhibit spermatozoa-zona pellucida binding. J Cell Sci. 2007 Jan 1;120(Pt 1):33-44. [PubMed]
Chiu PC, Tsang HY, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppala M, Lee KF, Yeung WS. (2004) The contribution of D-mannose, L-fucose, N-acetylglucosamine, and selectin residues on the binding of glycodelin isoforms to human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 70, 1710-9.
- Yeung WSB, Chiu PC, Dell A, Pang PC, Khoo KH and Clark GF. Human zona pellucida glycoproteins, their oligosaccharides, and uses thereof- (WO/2013/012749)
- Yeung WSB, Chiu PC and Lee KF. Fucosyltransferase-5 as zona pellucida protein receptor on human sperm- IP00226 (provisional application submitted)
- Complementary role of sperm sialyl-Lewis(x) binding proteins and sialidase on sperm-zona pellucida interaction (PI) General research Fund (2012), HK$ 1,143,840
- Control of human decidual macrophage differentiation by glycodelin-A (Co-I) General research Fund (2012), HK$ 1,297,160
- The roles of protein disulfide isomerase family A, member 3 (ERp57) and surface thiol/disulfide exchange in spermatozoa-zona pellucida binding and their association with fertilization in vitro (PI) General research Fund (2011), HK$ 950,000
- Control of human trophoblast invasion by glycodelin-A (PI) General research Fund (2009), HK$ 804,125
- The mechanism of action of a novel glycodelin isoform from cumulus matrix on stimulating spermatozoa-zona pellucida binding (Co-I) General research Fund (2006), HK$ 1,279,500
- Adrenomedullin and sperm functions (Co-I) General research Fund (2006); HK$ 654,500
- Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research or Small Project Funding (PI) (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research or Small Project Funding (Co-I) (2003, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011)
- Hong Kong Society of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Reproduction Society- Ordinary member (since 2013)
- American Society for Reproductive Immunology- Regular member (since 2013)
- Centre for Reproduction, Development and Growth, HKU- Full member (since 2011)
Awards and Honors
- Ten best paper award: Ko JKY, Huang VW, Li RHW, Ng EHY, Yeung WSB, Ho PC, Chiu PC (2013). An in-vitro study of the effect of mifepristone and ulipristal acetate on human sperm functions. Asian and Oceanic Congress of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2013. Bangkok, Thailand, OCT 20-23.
- Faculty of 1000 “Naturally Selected” on 2011: Pang PC, Chiu PC*, Lee CL, Chang LY, Panico M, Morris HR, Haslam SM, Khoo KH, Clark GF, Yeung WS, Dell A (2011). Human sperm binding is mediated by the sialyl-Lewis(x) oligosaccharide on the zona pellucida. Science. 333(6050):1761-4. (*Co-first author)
- HKU Strategic Research Areas - Reproduction and Development” Best Research Output Award 2nd Prize: Lee CL, Chiu PC*, Pang PC, Chu IK, Lee KF, Koistinen R, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Morris HR, Tissot B, Panico M, Dell A, Yeung WS (2011). Glycosylation failure extends to glycoproteins in gestational diabetes: Evidence from reduced alpha 2-6 sialylation and impaired immunomodulatory activities of pregnancy-related glycodelin-A. Diabetes. 60(3):909-17. (*Co-first and corresponding author)
- Excellent Poster Presentation Award: Yeung WS, Liu W, Pang RT, Chiu PC, Lao K, Lee CK (2010). First SKLAB Symposia on Frontiers in Preimplantation Biology. Beijing, China, MAY 8-12.
- Best Oral Presentation Award: Lam KKW, Chiu PC, Lee CL, Chung MK, Lee KF, Yeung WSB, Ho PC (2008). The Hong Kong Society of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Reproduction Annual Scientific Meeting. Hong Kong, NOV 30.
- Best Poster Presentation Award: Chung MK, Chiu PC, Lam KKW, Lee CL, Lee KF, Yeung WSB (2008). The Hong Kong Society of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Reproduction Annual Scientific Meeting. Hong Kong, NOV 30.